Reasons for Metal Fillings Removal
Amalgam silver fillings are typically composed of a mixture of mercury, silver, copper, tin, and sometimes zinc. Mercury fillings has traditionally being used in the past due to its economical and long-lasting properities. However, research and studies on dental amalgams has analyzed that it consisits of 45-55% elemental mercury*. As mercury is toxic, its use in silver fillings poses a concern to us.
- Mercury can accumulates in the body at any amount of mercury that can potentially cause health issues
- Dental mercury released into the environment can cause long-lasting damage to wildlife.
Mercury Poisoning Symptoms
Mercury vapor can be emitted from dental amalgam fillings, absorbed and retained in the body. The output of mercury can intensiy by the number of silover fillings in your mouth and other factors such as amount of chewing, teeth-grinding, and the consumption of hot liquids. Mercury is also known to be released during the placement, replacement, and removal of dental amalgam fillings
Common mercury poisoning symptoms caused by elemental (metallic) mercury vapor may include:
- Acrodynia : loss of appetite, general weakness, skin changes, emotional instability
- Cognitive impairments : memory loss, decrease in mental function
- Psychological issues : mood swings, anger, depression, irritability, and nervousness
- Excessive shyness : social withdrawal
Toxic effects of this mercury exposure vary by individual.