In 1994, ITI Struamann developed the ground-breaking SLA surface that reduced the average healing time from 12 weeks (TPS surface) to only 6-8 weeks. Shortly after its introduction, the macro- and microstructured, osseoconductive SLA surface became the gold standard in implant technology.
Benefits of SLA surface topograpy
- Proven by clinical scientic studies
- Hydrophilicity attracts blood to more of the surface
- Chemical activity promotes faster osseointegration
- one of the most documented rough surfaces in implantology
- generates a macro-roughness on the titanium surface by using a large-grit sandblasting technique; superposes a micro-roughness by acid-etching; resulting topography offers an ideal structure for cell attachment.
An outstanding 10-year results on the SLA surface presented recently shows:
- Unchanged survival rate: in the examined 23 patients, no implants were lost between years 5 and 10
- No statistically significant bone loss occurred between 5 and 10 years
- Prosthesis survival of 96 %
- No signs of peri-implantitis were noted at 10 years
- high patient satisfaction
Fischer K. 10-year outcome of SLA implants in the edentulous maxilla. ITI World Symposium, Geneva, Switzerland, 15-17 Apr 2010
Straumann dental implants with an SLA endosseous surface offer a promising solution for rapid anchoring in the bone.
- Restoration as early as after six weeks of healing with a high predictability of success is the standard treatment of today.
- In-vitro experiments on cell cultures attest the SLA surface an osteoconductive property.
- Removal torque experiments and histologic analyses from in-vivo studies further confi rm the fast osseointegration of the implants with the SLA surface.
Results from clinical studies are excellent. Five years after restoration, the overall implant survival rates to date are greater than 99%, as shown in a prospective multicenter study. Patients benefit from early-loaded implant restorations. They resume function quickly following surgery and provisional restoration.
Straumann SLA® Implant Surface: Clinically Proven Reduced Healing Time http://www.straumann.cz/soubory/o0000000141.pdf